This question worries often, and especially when you see bills for water consumption and discharge. Reducing costs is difficult, but quite possible. First of all, it is necessary to revise our habits, because very often we pour water completely mindlessly. In addition, by choosing the right plumbing and various technical devices, you can significantly, almost twice, reduce water consumption. Let's take a look at what we waste water on and what measures we can take to reduce consumption.
To understand how to reduce water consumption, you need to know what and in what quantities it is spent.
- In order to take a bath, it will take about 150 liters.
- For the shower - 30 - 50 liters.
- Depending on the diameter and pressure, 10 to 16 liters of water per minute flows out through the open tap.
- Through a faulty faucet is discharged into the sewage system from 24 liters (if it drips from it) to 144 liters per day (if a stream is leaking).
- For one toilet sink is spent about 9 liters.
- A tank from which water runs constantly consumes 260 liters per day.
The faucets, which taps had to be tightly tightened, risking to disable the locking mechanism and get an uncontrolled flow, are already a thing of the past. They are replaced by modern models that are much more convenient and economical. In plumbing stores the choice of faucets is very wide. Let's look at what models are found, and what they are good for.
- Single lever mixer. With it, you can achieve a comfortable temperature much faster without wasting time on the regulation with two taps. Leaving the lever in one position, the next time you turn on, you immediately get the water of the temperature that is needed. Savings - up to 8 liters with each opening of the crane.
- Another faucet, due to which it is not necessary to spend time on adjustment, - with a thermostat. It can set the desired temperature. It will remain unchanged, even if the water pressure decreases or increases.
- Another model that will find its use in the bathroom is a single-click mixer. It is arranged according to the principle of summer washstands. In order to pour water, you must click on the tongue. Water flows until the rod returns to its original position. In order to wash your hands, you need just two taps.
- A very unusual model of the mixer - Dial W. It is flat, made of chromed metal and looks very stylish. The principle of its work is to limit the water supply depending on the selected time. This mixer has 4 operating modes - for 5, 10, 15 seconds, as well as the option of constant water supply. To choose the right one, it’s enough to twist the disk, resembling an old telephone set, and set the required number.
The capacity of conventional mixers varies from 10 to 16 liters of water per minute and depends on the diameter of the faucet itself, as well as the head. There are several options that can reduce the flow of water.
- One of the most effective and, at the same time, affordable ways to reduce water consumption is to purchase and install various nozzles aerators on faucets or showers. The principle of their operation is as follows - a system of dividers and nets with small holes mix the flow of water with air. The jet of water retains its density, and the flow rate is reduced quite significantly, almost twofold. The advantages of such attachments are also in the fact that they significantly reduce the amount of splashing, the flow of water becomes not so noisy. When choosing an aerator, one should proceed from the purpose for which you install it. To save water when cooking and washing dishes in the kitchen, it is enough to use a nozzle with a capacity of about 5 liters per minute. For hand washing and washing you need no more than 3 l / min. There is no sense to put a nozzle on the bathroom tap, since if you want to fill it, it doesn’t matter what bandwidth the mixer will have. Especially because with a nozzle aerator to take a bath, it will take much more time. But on the shower it is worth choosing a water-saving nozzle, but it is possible and such, which will be the same as the aerator on the tap, mix water with air. There is a variant of the nozzle with very small holes, which create a stronger pressure. All these models have a throughput of 5 to 10 liters of water per minute. Before you choose an aerator for a faucet or a shower, study all the technical characteristics of the proposed models. In addition, it would be nice to read the reviews of real people, how really decreased water consumption when using a particular nozzle.
- Another interesting tap nozzle is Greenbell (in translation it means “Green Bell”). Using this model allows manufacturers to save about 80% of water. The principle of operation of the Greenbell nozzle is simple - when you move the bell tongue to the side, water begins to flow. The tap shuts off as soon as you remove your hands. It is necessary to install such model only on those mixers which are equipped with thermostats.
- Another way to save water when taking a shower is to purchase a flow restrictor. This is such a special water-saving nozzle, which is installed between the mixer and the hose for the shower. It limits the flow of water to 5 liters per minute. Due to this, the consumption is reduced at least twice.
- It is not necessary to buy a tap with the temperature set. The thermostat can be bought separately and installed on a faucet or shower (depending on the model chosen). With this purchase, you will save water without spending time on adjustment. In addition, wash in the shower, knowing that the temperature does not change, much calmer. Surely everyone got into a situation where well-regulated water suddenly became sharply cold or hot. I especially want to avoid this when children wash in the shower.
- Another technological advancement is the water pedal. She gained popularity in the kitchens of restaurants and hotels. The principle of operation is very simple - the tap opens when you press the pedal. Remove the leg - and the water stops flowing. The water pedal helps to significantly reduce water consumption during washing up. When using it, it is not necessary to constantly turn the water on and off with soapy or greasy hands, soiling the mixer. As in the case of the nozzle "Green Bell", you need to install such a pedal on the tap with a thermostat.
A large amount of water is wasted when doing chores such as washing dishes and washing clothes. To reduce costs, and also to save your time, you should consider buying modern household appliances. Almost everyone has washing machines, but there are dishwashers not in every kitchen. Of course, high-quality models are not cheap, but over time they will surely pay off, because every month you will pay much less for water consumption. Before you buy a new household appliance, be sure to familiarize yourself with the technical characteristics of the selected model. So that the purchase was really successful and worked to preserve the family budget, you should look at the techniques of class A, A + or A ++. You should not stop your choice on models of class G, with them no savings will not work. It would also be nice to read the reviews of real people, because not always the consumption of water, declared by the manufacturer, coincides with reality.
Dishwashers of the new generation consume only about 14 liters of cold water for one cycle. And this is at full load, which includes dirty dishes accumulated for the whole day. If we take into account that when washing with hands it takes about 30–40 minutes and, accordingly, 90–120 liters of cold and hot water, it can be concluded that there are significant savings. In order to turn on the dishwasher, it is not necessary to accumulate a lot of dirty dishes. In modern technology there is a function of half load, where with a decrease in the number of plates, water consumption decreases.
If you decide to change your old washing machine to a new one, pay attention to companies like Bosch, Samsung and Hotpoint / Ariston. Models of these manufacturers are quite economical in the consumption of water and electricity. Modern washing machines use about 40 - 70 liters for washing, and that is taking into account the rinsing mode. To wash the same amount of laundry by hand, a lot of time is spent, and the water consumption will be enormous - about 160 - 240 liters.
How to reduce water consumption during washing?
After you have bought a new washing machine, carefully read the instructions. It should be painted, how much water and electricity it consumes when working on a particular mode. This information will help you significantly reduce the consumption of resources. It should be noted that the maximum amount of water is spent on the mode in which the laundry is washed as long as possible. Also avoid double rinsing. So, how can you save on washing:
- It is not necessary to include a typewriter every day in order to roll a couple of T-shirts in it. It is better to do the washing once a week, but at full load.
- Be sure to inspect the laundry before loading it into the drum. If there are any point contamination, they should be pre-fixed. With this approach, the washing mode, you can choose a more economical.
- Do not store things so much that you have to choose a long mode. Remember that the most economical program in the washing machine - "quick wash".
- It is best to use those detergents that do not provide abundant foam. It is not necessary to load the powder intended for a hand wash in the container of the machine. Gels are also better not to use. If you follow these recommendations, you will not often have to turn on the double rinse mode.
Water meters have been installed in almost all apartment and private houses. If you do not have a gas water heater and you have to pay for both cold and hot water, consider installing a multi-tariff meter. How can he help in matters of economy? Sometimes situations arise that hot tap water flows a little warm. Sometimes this is due to any malfunctions in the city boiler rooms, and sometimes the water just needs to be drained to reach the desired temperature. In any case, you have to pay a higher rate for a service that you never received. In such situations, a multi-tariff meter equipped with a thermal sensor will be useful. It recognizes the temperature of the passing water and determines the one that is below 40 degrees, as cold, and, accordingly, above 40 - as hot.
In the plumbing stores you can buy counters from different manufacturers (both domestic and foreign). They are not very cheap, but eventually pay for themselves completely. Such devices can work both from batteries and from the network. The meters are equipped with an electronic display, which displays all information about cold and hot water consumption. It is quite convenient to use them, there are no difficulties in maintenance. In addition to the meter you can buy an adapter. It will transfer all readings to the computer.
Unfortunately, public utilities do not always take water readings from such meters. Therefore, before buying and installing it, consult your management company on this issue.
A large amount of water leaks in the kitchen. Constant cooking, washing vegetables, fruits, dishes - all this has the most negative impact on the readings of the water meter. In order to significantly reduce water consumption, it is enough to revise some of their habits. It's amazing how you can save on some little things. So, tips on reducing water consumption in the kitchen:
- In order to wash cups after tea drinking, fruit plates, pastries and other low-fat foods, it is not necessary to take a detergent. After all, the less you use it - the less water is required to flush out the foam. Plus, for the health of households washing dishes without chemicals is much more useful.
- It is not necessary to wash the stuck food under running water. Type in a pot, pan and other dishes that need to be cleaned with a small amount of water. Turn off the faucet and scrape off any dirt with a tough washcloth. Then walk the soaped sponge on the inner and outer walls. Only then can you turn on the water again and rinse the dishes completely.
- To wash all the dishes you can use this method - fill the sink with water by one third, put the dirty dishes into it (all food residues should be removed from it) and wash it with detergent. The crane must be turned off. Only after all the dishes washed, you can turn on the water and wash off the remnants of the funds.
- If you are used to washing your hands very carefully and not rinsing them hastily, you can turn off the water during soaping.
- For one person to take a bath, you need about 150 liters of water. If every family member loves daily basking in hot water, then it’s worth saving about saving. But if you still want to reduce consumption, you can take a quick shower instead of a bath. A quick shower is a procedure in which water is needed only to soak the body and then wash off the foam. During soaping, the tap is turned off. It will take only about 40 liters. Compared to the bathroom - the difference is huge. And the savings will be about 40 cubic meters per year.
- If you still want to take just a bath, then you should not fill it too much. Especially this advice is relevant when bathing children. The most optimal amount of water is about half the bath. At this level, there is always where to add hot water to maintain the ideal temperature.
Even if your tank in the toilet works like a clock and no leaks are observed, the water consumption is still one of the biggest here - about half of the total consumption. Depending on the model of the toilet, for one drain can drain from 9 to 12 liters. If we consider that people use the toilet quite often, the expense for a family of 4 people can reach 14,000 liters per month. Of course, if you don’t want your toilet to smell like it is in the public, you shouldn’t use the wash-through method. You can reduce water consumption in other, less extreme ways.
- Унитазом следует пользоваться только по прямому назначению. Весь мусор, остатки пищи и другие вещи, подлежащие утилизации, следует выбрасывать в мусорное ведро. Так вы можете избежать дополнительных смывов и лишних загрязнений на стенках унитаза.
- Для того чтобы стенки унитаза оставались чистыми, не обязательно смывать несколько раз. Просто пройдитесь по всей поверхности ершиком. Это желательно делать после каждого посещения туалета. So you will not only save water, but you will not allow urine stone and lime to grow on the walls of the toilet bowl.
In order to significantly reduce water consumption, you need to carefully consider the choice of plumbing. After examining all the characteristics of the proposed product, you can purchase the model that really helps to save. Look at the options:
- Tanks of small volume. They hold only 6 liters of water.
- Tanks equipped with a double button. When buying this model it will be easy to regulate the flow of water - when you need to, make it smaller or larger. When you click on a small button in the sewer drains just 3 liters of water.
- If you do not want to completely change the tank, you can separately purchase and install a special kit, equipped with a double drain.
In order to save on plum, not necessarily something to buy. You can use the tools at hand, turning the usual tank in water-saving. All that is needed for this is to drop into it a pair of plastic bottles filled with something heavy (sand or small stones). Thus, with each descent of water you can save about 3 liters. In addition, old tanks must be adjusted to prevent leaks. After all, constantly running water in the toilet makes a significant gap in the family budget.
Properly selected plumbing can reduce the amount of water that flows when draining, almost doubled. It is worth considering another important thing. The smaller the amount of water irrigated toilet bowl walls, the less lime settles on it. This allows much less to clean it, which reduces the consumption of both water and detergent.
In a private house, water consumption is usually much more than in an apartment. On the plot there is a garden that requires watering, a bathhouse, where both adults and children love to splash. To significantly reduce water consumption in the house, it will be easiest to drill a water well. This is not the cheapest pleasure, but over time, it fully pays for itself. Water obtained from the well, you can water the beds, and if it is clean enough, it can be used for washing, typing in the tanks baths. If it is not possible to drill a well, use rain and melt water to the maximum. In the spring you can dial in all the barrels of snow. The resulting water is enough for watering only planted beds. And under each downpipe let them stand tanks in which rainwater will be collected.
Saving water is important not only for the family budget of an individual family. If everyone learns himself and teaches his children to carefully use natural resources, this will be a huge contribution to the environment.