Hanging blinds in the kitchen you can:
- Hang the windows, hiding the kitchen from prying eyes, while shading the room exactly as much as you wish.
For those who plan to arrange the windows in the kitchen with this kind of curtains, we have compiled a step-by-step guide on the choice of blinds, including ways to check their quality in the store and installation, and also collected 45 photos of blinds in modern interiors.
Step 1. Horizontal or vertical?
First you need to decide which blinds you need - horizontal and vertical?
- Horizontal blinds are blinds with slats (the slats of which the curtains consist) arranged horizontally. Accordingly, they can not only close-open, but also descend and ascend up and down. Horizontal blinds come in different sizes and can be made from: plastic, aluminum, wood or bamboo. Let's talk about this in more detail below.
Disadvantages: unfortunately, the design of horizontal models is less durable and easy to manage than vertical curtains - their slats often break, creak, “rustle” in the wind, etc.
Pros: in this category, blinds have more choice in terms of materials - from economical plastic models to solid wooden ones. Like all horizontal lines, the slats of such curtains visually expand the space. In addition, you can choose models that are installed directly on the sash window. Well, if your kitchen is sustained in classical or Mediterranean style, in eco, Provence or country style, then the horizontal curtains will fit very organically into its interior.
- Vertical blinds are curtains with slats hanging from top to bottom. At the top, the slats are fastened to the cornice, and the bottom are connected by a chain. Vertical blinds can only be made from fabric or fiberglass. They can open from right to left, from left to right, or from the center in both directions.
Step 2. Choose a material
As a rule, horizontal lamellas can be made of:
- Plastic - plastic curtains are the lightest in terms of weight, unpretentious in maintenance, cost less than any other type of curtain, but they break very quickly and eventually fade or completely deform due to overheating from the sun's rays. Their lifespan is usually only 1 season. In addition, plastic curtains have a slightly “office” look, however, modern PVC blinds can imitate the texture and color of wood;
- Aluminum - if you choose the blinds to the kitchen, then pay attention to this version of the curtains. Yes, aluminum curtains are more expensive than plastic and fabric, they are more "noisy" and many associate with office curtains, but they are much stronger, more durable and easier to maintain, moisture and fire resistant, do not fade in the sun;
- Wood - the most expensive, but also the most beautiful version of blinds. Wooden lamellas will be environmentally friendly, relatively durable, but still flammable and a little more whimsical in care;
- Bamboo - bamboo blinds are easier to maintain and practical than wood. They look good and diffuse light, cost less, but over time they stretch a little under their own weight.
But from what materials you can choose horizontal blinds:
- From the fabric - this is a great option for blinds in the kitchen, because, firstly, they are beautiful, and secondly, practical and durable due to their design and material. The fact is that fabric lamellas are treated with special impregnation (acrylic or polyvinyl chloride) so that the fabric is not covered with dust, does not absorb odors, grease and household pollution, does not fade in the sun and is stronger. Fabric blinds are very easy to erase, less “noisy” in the wind, if desired, the slats can be changed independently and even adjust their height. The design of fabric curtains is limitless - they can be with a pattern, pattern, photo printing, have a different texture, color and decor. Modern fabric blinds can be at different levels, lining up a ladder or arch.
- Fiberglass (fiberglass) is an alternative option for fabric blinds, also excellent for the kitchen. From the point of view of fire safety, they are even better than fabric ones, since fiberglass does not burn in the fire, but is kinda baked without emitting any harmful substances and smoke, because it is a completely eco-friendly material, which, unlike woven lamellae, is not treated with impregnations. Another feature - they need to be cleaned only by the dry method.
- Multi-veneered blinds are multi-level vertical curtains of woven and decorative plastic slats at the top, which in their appearance resemble an arch, curtain or lambrequin. The lower part of the slats of multi-pattern curtains can be made of fabrics of any kind.
But keep in mind that fabric blinds (without impregnation) can be cleaned only by a dry method, and complex dirt is better to entrust dry cleaning. Therefore, these curtains are more suitable for dining rooms and living rooms. From the point of view of interior design on the one hand, this is an excellent choice, because you can make a combination that suits your interior. But on the other hand, too complicated design of multi-textured curtains can overload the space and quickly get bored.
As for the choice of the eaves, then everything is simple:
- It is better to choose eaves with the aluminum case, but not plastic.
Step 3. Choose the design and color of the curtains
To choose the design of curtains you need based on the color scheme of the interior. In this case, keep in mind that the design of the window in the interior of the kitchen can play a role:
- Accent - then the curtains are chosen in a contrasting or bright color, they can have a drawing, photo printing, interesting texture and different levels. Most often, this option is permissible only if the entire kitchen interior is discreetly decorated; in other cases, such self-sufficient curtains should be chosen with care.
- Balancing or neutral element of the situation - in this case, the curtains are selected in basic white, cream, gray, beige or to match the walls of the kitchen.
You can choose curtains in the color of dishes, decor and kitchen textiles - tablecloths, furniture upholstery, pillows on chairs, napkins, etc. as shown in the photo below.
And, of course, you need to take into account the style of the kitchen interior. So, in the kitchen in the style of a classic, country or Provence, horizontal wooden or aluminum blinds, resembling lattice window shutters, will be appropriate.
Below is an example of how to beat vertical blinds in a classic interior.
And in modern interiors in the style of minimalism, hi-tech, modern, etc., any blinds would be appropriate.
If the blinds seem to you too boring and strict, then you can combine them with ordinary curtains, lambrequins, curtains as shown in the photo.
Step 4. Choose the size of the curtains and mounting method
Before going to the store or before ordering blinds you need to make window measurements in order to understand what sizes the future curtains should be. The size of the blinds, and accordingly, the price for them depends on how you want to install them:
- On the wall;
- To the ceiling;
- In the window opening.
In the first two cases, everything is simple - we measure the dimensions of the window, if it is standard, then most likely you will be able to buy standard size window blinds in the store. Standard sizes are 1.60 cm or 1.80 cm in length (it can be adjusted), and 100, 110, 120, 130 and 140 cm in width.
- The width of your window should be 10 cm, and better by 20 cm less than the width of the blinds.
- For non-standard windows, for example, very small, panoramic or very high, blinds should be ordered in specialized stores.
- The height of the blinds should be such that their lower edge in loose form lagged behind the floor or the window sill by 2 cm.
If you want to install blinds in the kitchen in the window niche as in the photo above, then look for blinds 1-2 cm wide less than the width of the window opening.
But the video how to change the height of the blinds with your own hands:
- As for the dimensions of the lamella themselves, their width is standard: for vertical ones it is 8, 9 or 12.7 cm, and for horizontal ones - for 16, 25 or 50 mm.
Step 5. Testing the quality of the blinds in the store
If you plan to buy blinds in the kitchen in the store, then you will have the opportunity to check the quality of the display cases:
- First try to quickly assemble and dissolve the curtains 10-15 times. If the mechanism does not squeak and gnash, opens smoothly, and the slats for the entire time of the test have never turned over, then these are excellent blinds. Then you can continue testing - run along horizontal models (in the straightened, but closed state) with the handle from bottom to top - qualitatively assembled lamellae will not roll over and stop. Otherwise, the blinds in a closed form will pass the light and incorrectly close-open;
- Horizontal fabric blinds can also be checked: try to quickly open-close them 10-15 times, rotate the slats in different directions - if the mechanism starts to stick, and the slats do not fold evenly, then it is better to refuse such curtains. The quality mechanism of the blinds will work smoothly, without grinding, and the slats will be collected evenly and synchronously.
By the way, keep in mind that good blinds can be found in domestic manufacturers for a low price, and bad ones can be found in expensive European brands, the price of which, moreover, increased in 2015.
Step 6. Installing the blinds
Do-it-yourself blinds installation is a topic for a separate material, although fixing them is not so difficult. In the next video you can clearly see how to install horizontal blinds directly on the window. For detailed instructions, read our material: Installing blinds for 1 hour - step by step instructions for all types of curtains.